Statistical Tool: Basketball Reference’s Play Index
What is it?
- This incredible tool is essentially a seach engine for the statistical archives of Basketball-Reference.com.
- Using various statistical criteria you can search and compare individual player seasons, individual player games, individual player streaks, team seasons, team games, team streaks, draft pick history, head to head comparisons for individual games and head to head season comparisons for different players.
Why should I be interested?
- Simply put this is an incredibly powerful tool. Here are a few examples posted by Basketball Reference:
Who was the first player to score 2000 points in a season?
Which player had the most assists from 1969-70 through 1978-79?
How many NBA players have had 1000+ points, 750+ rebounds, and 500+ assists in a single season?
What were the top scoring performaces of the 2005-06 season?
Which players made 10 or more field goals without a miss from 1989-90 through 1998-99?
Who was the player who had the most games with 20+ assists from 1989-90 through 2008-09?
- Almost any statistical milestone or benchmark you are curious about can be found and isolated with this tool.
- It is also great for settling bets!
Why should I be skeptical?
- It can take a few tries to figure out which version of the tool and which limiting criteria to use to isolate the information you want.
- Most advanced statistics are available in the database, but a few like Pure Point Rating are missing.
Where can I find it?