Statistic: TS% (True Shooting Percentage)
What is it?
- True Shooting Percentage is a statistic which takes into account 3Pointers and Free Throws to create a better overall measure of a player’s shooting ability. Basically it combines the statistics of FG%, 3PT% and FT% into one measure.
- True Shooting Percentage is calculated using the formula Pts/(2 x (FGA + (o.44 x FTA)))
Why should I be interested?
- TS% is a statistic which gives a complete picture of a player’s shooting ability in one number.
- Like eFG% it accounts for the relative point values of the shots a player makes for anywhere on the floor, but it incorporates free throws as well.
Why should I be skeptical?
- Don’t be skeptical, but use it in conjunction with other statistics. TS% accounts for the different categories of shooting (FTs, 2-Pts, 3-Pts) in one number. You may still want to look at those categories individually to see what makes a players TS% high or low.
- Be prepared to compare a player’s TS% percentage to the number of shots a player takes from different locations. It is easy to have a high TS% if a player takes a very small number of very makeable shots.
Where can I find it?
- TS% has also become a mainstream stat and can be found on the player pages or team breakdowns of almost any stat website. Here are some of my favorites:
Draftexpress NBA Stats